Friday, April 13, 2012

Before there was blogging...

...there was journaling.

It was 14 years ago when the Lord so heavily burden my heart to adopt that every song, every sermon, every movie seemed to cry out, 'adopt a child'! My husband was not so burdened and had no problem sleeping at night with this decision. For months, I would randomly bring up to him this burden and dream of adopting which had been planted as a seed in my heart at the age of 12 but had now grown into a tree desiring to bear fruit. He would patiently (and not so patiently at times) listen to my plea, but the answer was usually the same...."We don't have the money."

Foster care to adopt had never been considered as an option, mostly because we knew nothing about it. But one day the Lord had me discover a full-page ad in the newspaper sharing the number of 'available children' for adoption and how to proceed. I was sold, it would cost nothing. My husband was less than impressed, but God was working in his heart. On July 4th, after another, "but why not?" from me on the front steps of our 'miracle home' (that is a story for another time), he turned, took me in his arms, looked me in the eyes and said, "I love you. I will not stand in the way of your dream. It is time for me to grow-up and this will help."

I wrote in my journal July 7, 1998:
"My heart is full because the first hurtle in my prayer to you for adoption has been crossed...(my husband's words written above were here)...To you all Glory and Praise. Lord, now I commend to you this process. Lead us, prepare us, and bless us with the children you want us to have. Give us strength in our marriage and ourselves to face this trial till the adoption is complete. We do this with your Kingdom in mind. For all will pass away except those souls who know and serve you. Father, my earnest prayer is that all our children become believers. May Bob and I accept the challenge to be faithful parents. Sold out to you, totally convicted and committed. Lord, please don't let them turn from you. Grab their hearts and that of their spouses and keep them focused on you. Teach us how to lead this brood. I pray for Joshua, Taylor (Garrison), and Melinda to turn to you and be dependent on you. For our children to come, I pray acceptance of us as their parents and family, and acceptance of you as their Lord and Savior. Jesus, suffer these little children to come unto you.  Use us as the vessel for your work in their lives. To you, Lord Jesus, all glory, honor, and praise. Amen."


Thus began our adoption journey which I have been journaling for 14 years. Over the next days and weeks, I will be 'blogging' many of these journal entries. May they be a blessing and an encouragement to all who read them!

Blessings,
Katherine





No comments:

Post a Comment